Here are a few suggestions on how to hold elections for your club; however, each club can decide how elections will work best.
At the meeting prior to holding elections:
To hold elections:
- Define the officers’ roles and responsibilities and what strengths a student needs to excel in each role.
- Ask if any students are interested in running for an officer position or if they would like to nominate a peer.
- Encourage each student running to prepare a statement to present at the next meeting about why he or she would be the best choice for that officer role.
- Review each officer role again for the entire club.
- Have candidates speak to the club about why they want to be an officer.
- Have students write down on a piece of paper their votes for each position.
- Tally the votes and announce the winner