MARCH OF DIMES
Builders Club Helps Fight Premature Birth
One in eight babies is born prematurely in our country and premature birth is the number one cause of death during the first month of life. Babies who survive often face serious health challenges and can suffer from lasting disabilities. And millions of children have trouble learning in school because they were born too soon.
November is Prematurity Awareness Month®, and Builders Club is proud to partner with the March of Dimes® to give all babies a fighting chance. On November 17, thousands of people will participate in Prematurity Awareness Day® activities in their communities. The month and day are recognized across America and covered by local and national media.
Participate in 10 Baby Steps
Celebrate World Prematurity Day on November 17 and throughout the entire month of November by participating in 10 Baby Steps!
Help your school host an event to raise awareness about premature birth. Be sure to Like March of Dimes Team Youth on Facebook
and share your event details and pictures to the page!
The first 200 registrants will receive a prematurity awareness package to help make your event a huge success! Not only that, you will have the chance to win recognition across the country for your event! Go to www.marchofdimes.org/schools to register your event.
Prematurity Birth Report
Also on Prematurity Awareness Day, the March of Dimes released the third annual Premature Birth Report Cards. The cards score the nation and each individual state on its rate of premature birth and give recommendations for improvement.
Builders Club encourages you to get involved by going to the March of Dimes youth toolkit, where you are provided with ways in which you can make a difference in the fight for premature babies. One way to get involved would be by wearing purple to show your support for the Prematurity Awareness Day!
How do I raise money for March for Babies?
- Set a goal.
- Make it happen. Ask your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends and neighbors to give a donation—any amount, $5, $10, $15 or more—to support your participation in March for Babies.
- Ask contributors to write their name, address and contribution amount on the envelope and place their contribution inside (checks should be made payable to March of Dimes).
- Very Important: Don’t approach strangers and never go door-to-door without an adult.
- Think about what you’re going to say to supporters, then practice saying it with enthusiasm and a big smile.
- Write the total amount on the envelope and seal it. Give this to your teacher or group leader.
- Write thank-you notes or e-mails. They’ll remember you and will likely support you next year.
- Put on your walking shoes and walk like crazy in March for Babies.
- Submit donations and be sure to include your Builders Club name and contact information.
What is the March of Dimes?
It’s an organization that fights to save babies’ lives. It does this in communities across the country by helping babies be born healthy.
The March of Dimes uses the money you raise in March for Babies to help sick babies get better. It helps scientists do research to find cures for birth defects and to learn why some babies are born too soon. It works to make sure that women who are having babies go to the doctor or a clinic. And it teaches them the importance of taking care of themselves, eating nutritiously and taking vitamins. All this helps the mom to stay healthy, so she can have a healthy baby.
By teaming up with the March of Dimes in March for Babies, you’re doing some really important stuff to help babies be born healthy and grow up healthy. We are walking to give every baby a healthy start. Happy March for Babies!